Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tubeless Tinkering


I can't help myself. I am a tinkerer. So now that I am making the leap into the world of tubelessness, I want to tinker with making tires less pourous and easier to air up the first time. Tubeless Ready tires have already proven to a "no brainer". Simply add a little Stans, inflate, and ride. But my favorite race tires, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, are proving to be tricky. I may ruin a perfectly good tire in the name of science but I am willing to take one for the team. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let us know how it goes.

I siliconed the valve stem but didn't seal the inside of the tire. I only did 1 cup of stans and think another 1/2 cup is needed. I seem to keep loosing small amounts of air. Guess I should have sealed the tire, huh?

Anonymous said...

D + B, just re-rubbered the Sultan with Mtn King in the rear and Pana Ramp in the front. Both aired up enough to seat the bead pre-stans. Then air out, stans in (3 oz) through the valve stem and voila! This is with rubber rim strip mind you...

Chris E.

Dave, red creek mission on Sunday with chainsaw. I'll just get 20 min. in front and cut so you can ride right on through!

Anonymous said...

Where's the super glue??