There is a new bike in the stable and I took it out for the first time this past Saturday. The Santa Cruz Tallboy has been taunting me for a year now and when a local shop had a large frame sitting there I couldn't resist. The Phillips Ridge Trail made for the perfect full-suspension test-track with lots of embedded rock and flowing downhill sections.
Quick stats & initial thoughts
- Large Tallboy frame & shock weighed 5.11 lbs
- Complete bike as I would race it weighs 24.3 lbs
- It doesn't ride like a fragile flower
- This frame is 1.5 lbs lighter than my 2008 Turner Sultan
- Do we really need tapered head tubes on 4" travel XC bikes?
- Thanks for not making it BB30. Seriously.
- I think this bike will see a lot of racing action in 2011
I wanted to build this bike now and dial in the fit before the weather here goes to crap. It will be 100% ready to rock at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo in February...Solo baby.