Monday, April 6, 2009

A "turning the corner" weekend?

After Thursday morning's incredible ski + a little more snow and cold temps I expected Saturday to be an incredible day of skiing. We had all day to tour and find the untracked goodness but an uncommon, strong north wind turned our beloved north facing bowls into wind-slabbed funkiness that required some survival skiing. Oh well, the sun was out and the company was excellent. But the speed at which the conditions changed had me thinking that spring might finally be here and I am ready. If it doesn't snow again until November I would be ok with it.

Michelle and Kenai love the pow

Kenai got a little tired at the end and stayed in my tracks

J9 on our last run of the day

I had been planning a long snow bike for Sunday but the forecast was calling for slush-creating sun so we changed it up at the last minute and got out on the dry roads. Sunday was an example of "wishful thinking" in that it looked like it should have been warmer than it truly was. It was only 22F when we started our ride in Wilson at 11 AM and I don't think it got much above 32F in the 3 1/2 hours we were out. Brrr. It took a long, hot shower and some tea to get warmed up once I got home.

I do hope we have "turned the corner" on spring this year and that we have some decent cycling weather now. It was a great winter season of snow biking and skiing but I am ready to turn the page.

No comments: