Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Review, Recovery, and Root Drops

I have gone over my 12 Hour Steamboat race a hundred times in my mind since the drive home on Sunday because that is just how I am. I am very happy with the way I kept the pedals turning on the BIG climb but I could have "raced" a little bit better and I will learn from this one. When I reviewed my Polar file I saw that my times on the actual climb were within 9 minutes for all 7 laps. Cool. Then how did I have a 2:00:00 lap 6 and a 1:56:00 lap 7? I spent too long in the pit and too long putting on layers at the top for the descent during the night laps. 12 Hours seems like such a long time but a few minutes here or there can make a huge difference.

The recovery is going well and I got out for a little mtb ride this afternoon with supa-fast Nate and J9. J9 led the way and showed us some new (to me) singletrack with great root drops, jumps, and climbing through the forest. I probably rode a little harder than I should have but it was so fun and I was mentally into so what the hell. Next time I will snap some actions pics I promise.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

it's amazing how much of a difference it can make to "race" well or not. you'd think in a 12 hour race a few minutes here and there wouldn't matter but when you look at it in hindsight that's the shit that makes the difference between a good race and a great race.