Monday, September 20, 2010

First Ride On The Tallboy

There is a new bike in the stable and I took it out for the first time this past Saturday. The Santa Cruz Tallboy has been taunting me for a year now and when a local shop had a large frame sitting there I couldn't resist. The Phillips Ridge Trail made for the perfect full-suspension test-track with lots of embedded rock and flowing downhill sections.

Ridge Trail 9-18-10 from Dave Byers on Vimeo.

I have a lot to learn with the video camera and I apologize for the annoying shaking at times.

Quick stats & initial thoughts
- Large Tallboy frame & shock weighed 5.11 lbs
- Complete bike as I would race it weighs 24.3 lbs
- It doesn't ride like a fragile flower
- This frame is 1.5 lbs lighter than my 2008 Turner Sultan
- Do we really need tapered head tubes on 4" travel XC bikes?
- Thanks for not making it BB30. Seriously.
- I think this bike will see a lot of racing action in 2011

I wanted to build this bike now and dial in the fit before the weather here goes to crap. It will be 100% ready to rock at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo in February...Solo baby.

3 comments:

Adam Meyer said...

2x10 Dave??!! You said you wouldn't ditch your little chainring?

Sweeet build.

@m

Dave said...

Adam - you totally busted me. I have changed my tune regarding 2x10 in "certain" situations. I paid close attention to the gearing I actually used on my 22/32/44 triple setup during races and the 22F/30R was the easiest gear I used. The 2x10 26F/36R is actually 1% easier. I'll post more soon.

Adam Meyer said...

I was trying to tell you.

The only place you'll miss the 22/34 is on the Grove Grunt and other places never intended for mountain biking.

@m