Friday, February 19, 2010

Post Old Pueblo Ramblings

I think a race that lasts for 24 hours deserves multiple posts and since I am still glowing from my race I am inspired.

Let’s kick it off with some online media coverage. There is a great Mountain Bike Action article on the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo. Who is that dude in the second pic?

LW Coaching had a HUGE event at Old Pueblo with many of Lynda’s athletes landing on the podium. I like to joke that Lynda has helped me squeeze every drop out of my “zero genetic talent body” but there is a lot of truth to it. Lynda professionalism, knowledge, and race experience make her the best endurance mountain biking coach bike out there.

I tried to give off positive energy throughout the race and in turn receive positive energy from others. This included racers around me of all abilities and the folks in the timing tent volunteering at the race. However, the support and encouragement from my friends meant the most. Here are the post-race Blogs from my peeps:

JenyJo’s Race Report

Ede’s Post

Lynda’s Race Report

Scott Morris’ Race Report

Funny Random Weekend Moments:

The Food Bag is gone!!!
I stayed in Tucson on Wed might and in my rush to pack up and get to the race venue I left a canvas shopping bag full of my race food in my hotel room. After figuring out what I had done, I called the hotel and tracked down housekeeping only to be told that they threw it out. Bull. Shit. That housekeeper scored a HUGE bag of unopened goodies including Starbucks coffee, Pringles, Wheat Thins, Peanut Butter, Pumpkin Spice Cookies, and Lara Bars. JenyJo saved the day and stopped at store for me on her way into the venue. Thanks again JJ!

BooBoo is my Crew Chief


JenyJo’s kitty is named Tonka but also goes by the alias BooBoo. When I learned that Michelle couldn’t make the trip I jokingly asked JJ if BooBoo would be my Crew Chief. Little did I know that JJ would bring a BooBoo replica to the race to actually serve as my Crew Chief. As you can see, BooBoo likes to sit up high and survey the situation at all times.

More Cowbell



I love cowbells. Hearing a cowbell during a race makes me smile and makes me go faster. Early in the race I was riding in a pack and we passed a guy cheering racers on and madly ringing a cowbell. As we went by, I yelled “More cowbell!!!” The best part was that the guy riding behind me didn’t miss a beat and immediately quoted the SNL skit with Christopher Walken...”I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.” Greatness.

Stuff that worked:

In order to ride for 24 hours without stopping, a lot of things have to go right. The only time my butt hit a chair the entire race was to change my shoes in the middle of the night and that took about a minute.


Carbo Rocket has become my “go to” race drink because it tastes great and keeps my tummy happy. At 120 calories per 24oz bottle it is a supplement to the main source of calories I am using and the electrolytes it provides are the key. I drank 15 bottles of Carbo Rocket during the race and never got tired of it.


Ergon Grips have been on my bikes for several years now and in that time hand issues have been non-existent. I prefer the heavier GP1 model for its big fat paddle that supports my palm and I gladly sacrifice the weight they add for the long-term comfort. I have to admit that I wish I had bar ends at this race so I may try some GR2s in the near future.


It got cold at night during the race and when you are somewhat dehydrated and under-caloried it always feels colder than it really is. I changed into my Lake MX302s before midnight and wore them until about 7:15am and I am really glad I brought them. Also, it is faster to change shoes than to add/remove neoprene shoe covers.


The Lupine Wilmas rocked. I ran a Wilma on the bars and on the helmet and I had plenty of light for bombing down the Bitches and big ringing the back stretch. During one middle-of-the-night lap, another rider jumped on my wheel because his lights went totally out and he safely rode most of the lap on my wheel using my lights to guide him.

No comments: