Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tools to build a faster engine

I started getting curious about power meters about a year and a half ago while riding the CompuTrainer during the winter at Fitzy's. It was interesting to compare my watts from ride to ride and with others riding with me.

Conversations with Lynda & Dave confirmed what I had started to realize. A power meter would be the best way to gauge my fitness during the season, plan my training, and pace myself during specific events or workouts.

The planets finally aligned and I pulled the trigger on a Power Tap SL 2.4 built into a Reynolds DV46C wheelset.
I have been a loyal Polar 720i user for several years and it has served me well. I religiously wear it on every ride and race, download my rides into the Polar software, and refer back to my Polar workout calendar over time. I have a lot to learn about getting the most out of this new tool but for now I am just going to mount it up, ride, download, and observe.


5 comments:

Chris said...

Sexy rim. I just got that book a couple weeks back and one of the things this winter will be to get power meters on the most ridden bikes and start building the data bank. I bet this will help you step it up even more.

Dave Harris said...

Awesome Dave. Good plan too - for now ;)

FixieDave said...

Just remember to have fun =)


we are just grown men riding bicycles

Dave Harris said...

"Just remember to have fun =)"

Coming from the guy who eschews gears & freehubs on routes nearly impossible with them...Mr Nice you crack me up!

Seriously though, there is nothing more fun that taking your fitness to a razors edge and rocking a goal. The power meter gives you insight to yourself that intuition fails to grasp...

Rock on Mr Byers!

Lynda Wallenfels said...

Well done. This will make your winter training into something beyond your expectations...